If you’re suffering from jaw pain with no clear cause, you may have a TMJ disorder (TMD), a condition caused by inflammation of the joints that connect your jaw to your skull. Dr. Victoria Shook can determine whether your symptoms indicate a TMD. If so, she’ll provide TMJ treatment in San Pedro that gives you the relief you desperately need.Teeth Grinding at Shook Dental Care Shared by Dr. Victoria Shook Read Transcript
We create custom bruxism splints in my office to help with people who clench or grind their teeth at night. It's a great thing to wear at night if you do that because it protects your teeth, protects them from cracking, breaking, excessive wear. It's a good thing.
Our treatment will:
- Use a multifaceted approach to help you
- Relieve the nagging pain in your jaw
- Keep pain from spreading to other parts of your body
- Help you eliminate teeth grinding and other behaviors that contribute to the problem
- Protect your teeth from harmful effects of grinding
Call our office at 310-982-6333 to schedule a time to come in for a TMJ assessment.
We Provide Several Ways to Address Your TMJ Problems
Many dentists provide nightguards to help relieve pressure on your jaw. An oral appliance is a proven method for treating TMJ pain that works well for many of our patients. It takes the pressure off the jaw joint and gives your body a chance to heal the damage on its own. A custom-fit appliance also prevents you from grinding your teeth (bruxism) in your sleep.
However, we think nightguards are more effective when accompanied by other forms of treatment for TMJ disorders. So we also offer:
- Laser Therapy – Ask us how our dental lasers can help you manage TMJ pain and other symptoms of your TMD.
- Patient Coaching – Dr. Shook can also recommend some simple behavioral and lifestyle changes that may result in the pain relief you need. Many of them involve managing stress better, which can improve your life in many ways.
See Us If You Suffer From Migraines or Other TMJ Symptoms
A TMJ disorder can cause more than a sore jaw. For example, the muscles in the joint stretch from the base of your jaw up into your temple region, giving these disorders the power to produce migraine symptoms. Some other symptoms of TMJ disorders include:
- Tooth Pain
- Painful Bite
- Clicking in Your Jaw